Cornea & Cataract Day, 2014
Review: The Cornea & Cataract Sub-Specialty Day,
Monday 19th May 2014
Thank you to all who attended this succesful day at the innovative Thinktank Museum, Birmingham. Next year's meeting is on Monday 18th May, at the Hilton Hotel, Liverpool.
Conference report by Consultant Mr. Sid Goel
The 2014 UKISCRS Cataract and corneal specialty day on the 19th May proved a resounding success in seeing in the Royal College Annual Congress. 21 distinguished speakers delivered high quality talks which held the audience’s attention for the day. In the corneal section there were excellent updates on infections and inflammation, transplants, eye banking, and refractive surgery. Speakers shared their pearls which should prove invaluable to both junior and experienced colleagues in updating their practice. The talks in the cataract section ranged across diverse subjects from commissioning to new IOL & phaco machine designs to cataract surgery in difficult cases. There was a healthy discussion and participation from the audience through the day.
The venue was excellent with enthusiastic participation from trade who took the opportunity to showcase their technologies. Food and beverages were delivered to a good standard and this was well received by all.
The UKISCRS looks forward to hosting the satellite days with the ESCRS in September and would welcome participation from delegates.
|Cornea & Cataract Day 2014|
Mr. Damian Lake
Mr. Glenn Carp
Mr. Jesper Hjortdal
Cornea & Cataract Day 2014 Programme
- 09:00 - Introduction
Christopher Liu - Sussex
- 09:05 - Chemical injury
Sajjad Ahmad - Liverpool
- 09:20 - Sharp and blunt injuries
Paul Sullivan - London
- 09:35 - Infection
Stephen Tuft, London
- 09:50 - Refractive surgery complications
Glenn Carp, London
- 10:05 - Corneal Melts
Parwez Hossain, Southampton
- 10:20 - Keratoplasty complications
Imran Rahman, Blackpool
- Session discussion and questions
Hot Topics in Cornea
- 11:10 - DMEK
Fook-Chang Lam, Netherlands
- 11:25 - Femto keratoplasty
Saj Khan, Sussex & London
- 11:40 - All femto refractive surgery
Jesper Hjortdal, Denmark
- 11:55 - Intracorneal rings
Jesús Merayo, Spain
- 12:10 - Contact lens update
Sophie Taylor-West, Sussex
- 12:25 - Modern eye banking
Damian Lake, Sussex
- 12:40 - Idiots guide to keratoprostheses
Christopher Liu, Sussex
- 12:50 - 13:00 Summary & Q&A
- 14:00 - Introduction
Philip Bloom, London
- 14:05 - Competition Commission - where are we?
- 14:25 - What would you do next?
- 14:45 - Update on IOL technology
- 15:05 - Phaco machines - what is new/coming?
- 15:25 - Summary & Q&A
Corneal aspects of Cataract Surgery
- 15:55 - Procedure selection for the correction of post cataract refractive errors
- 16:20 - Cataract surgery in Keratoconus
- 16:40 - Cataract surgery in Fuchs Dystrophy
- 17:00 - Cataract surgery and surface regeneration in aniridia
- 17:20 - 17:30 Summary & Close